Painting and weathering the Whippet - Chapter 4 - Details

Adam Wilder Aqualine effects Martin Kováč tutorial whippet

Hello, again folks!

So in this chapter, we’re gonna prepare the model for weathering. In other words, we’ll take care of some details that need to be painted before adding dust and earth tones to the surface. There’s going to be a small surprise in this article, so let’s quickly get down to business!

Incinerated White from Lifecolor contains a small hint of red making it perfect for burned areas. I thinned it down with a bit of water.

I brush painted the exhausts with this color. A few layers were needed to obtain a good coverage.

After masking and covering them with a layer of chipping fluid I airbrushed random uneven coat of dark brown Lifecolor paint.

I chipped the brown away with a soft brush and water creating a random distressed effect.

As I wasn’t fully satisfied with the result I added finer dark brown spots with a paintbrush.

And here’s the surprise! Aqua Line is a line of acrylic based reactivable paints that come in these sweet bottles. There will be more detailed info about them in another post so I’ll get straight down to their use. As they are very thick, we’ll always need to thin them down with water. This offers us wide range of opacities and makes them very cost-effective.

I added a small amount of both rust colors on the exhaust, left it a few minutes to dry and then blended them with water.

The result is completely matt and looks pretty convincing!

I wanted to leave the back door slightly open so I had to paint and weather the inside. After airbrushing it with a glossy white color I immediately applied a dark enamel wash around the details.

I would have to leave the wash sit for a few hours if I wanted to create streaking with enamels or oils, but I decided to paint them with Aqua Line paint. Because I used water to blend them, the wash didn’t react and was firmly kept in place.

Some dark gray chips were painted with Vallejo paints just as we did before.

Same goes for the rust tones. This whole process went pretty quick and resulted in an interesting looking interior of the access door. Let’s hope there will be something visible when I glue them to the model!

 

And voila, now we have this model prepared for weathering. Keep an eye on this page as there will be a lot more useful info posted about the new weathering line.

See ya tomorrow!



Older Post Newer Post


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published